Traces of human habitation in Goričko have been found from as early as prehistoric times, antiquity and the early Middle Ages. In the 9th century this area was ruled by the ancestral Slavs under Prince Pribina and Prince Kocelj. Their development was prevented by the invasions of the Hungarians around the year 900, who formed the so-called border zone. Colonization occurred again from the end of the 11th to the 14th century, at which time the older cultural monuments appeared.
Today's cemetery and Church of St. Martin in Domanjševci, built a bit before the middle of the 13th century, is the oldest preserved sacral monument in Prekmurje. The rotunda in Selo is an exceptional monument of round Romanesque architecture and Gothic painting. Echoes of Gothic architecture, which survived in Goričko through the 15th and 16th centuries, can be seen in the churches in Grad, Gornji Petrovci and Boreča. The Gothic period was followed by the period of Turkish invasions, which threatened this area as well for nearly two hundred years, from the 15th to the 17th century. At that time most of the energy was put into defense, and later development occurred in market towns and towns outside of Goričko.
At the end of the 19th and beginning of the 20th century, major urban growth occurred mainly in Murska Sobota, while the milestone for development is of course the time after 1919, when Prekmurje and Goričko were again joined with their core Slovene homeland.
Today most visitors come to see one of the largest castles in Slovenia, the Grad castle, and the Church of the Ascension in Bogojina.
The castle in Grad (formerly Gornja Lendava) was first mentioned in 1208. Over the centuries it obtained its characteristic multi-cornered shape which exhibits Romanesque, late Gothic, Renaissance and Baroque features. Due to its location, historical role, design and size, the castle at Grad was selected as the administrative and reception center of the Goričko-Örség-Raab Tri-Lateral Nature Park.
The Parish Church of the Ascension in Bogojina, whose round tower is visible from far away, was designed by the famous architect Jože Plečnik in the 1930s by using the Romanesque core with the Gothic elements it had received in the 14th century as the entrance vestibule for the new church. Thus it became one of the most important monuments of modern sacral architecture in Slovenia.